When it comes to grapefruit either you’re Team Grapefruit or you’re not. If you’re Team Grapefruit, you probably can’t get enough of this citrus and stock up on it for lip-smacking drinks and unique dishes. In addition to being an excellent source of vitamin C, grapefruit is also rich in lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient. Lycopene helps to fight oxygen free radicals which can damage cells. According to one study, regularly eating lycopene-rich foods may reduce a man’s risk for developing prostate cancer. Grapefruit also contains pectin, a form of soluble fiber that has been shown in animal studies to minimize the advancement of atherosclerosis. And grapefruit may reduce blood levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Here are six ways to enjoy grapefruit.
- Add grapefruit sections to green salads
- Juice grapefruit for an invigorating breakfast drink
- Make a classic that was popular during the ‘50s and ‘60s… Brown Sugar Broiled Grapefruit (Top grapefruit halves with brown sugar and then caramelize under the broiler. When finished caramelizing, add a dollop of whipped cream atop grapefruit halves.)
- Make a tropical salad using grapefruit sections, cooked shrimp, and sliced avocados
- Make grapefruit salsa by combining diced grapefruit, chopped cilantro, and minced jalapeno peppers
- Make ceviche using grapefruit, red onion, serrano chile, fresh mint, fresh lime juice, salt, and sea scallops